May 31, 2010

Here's to You

Today is Memorial Day 2010, and in about an hour I need to leave to attend a BBQ at my brother's house. I'm looking forward to this because I'm particularly aware of mortality this year.

Without being overly sentimental, I would like to thank each of my loved ones who have passed - whether they served their country or not. I like to think that I possess a part of each of them and that I am a better whole because of these parts.

So whether my boys have your name or you taught me to appreciate my babies, played a mean game of Rummy, encouraged me to be a better daughter, helped my husband become the man he is, or encouraged respect through cleaning headstones on past Memorial Days, Thank you.

I also want to thank my Grandpa - thankfully he is still here. I don't think I tell him often enough how honored I am that he served his country, that he had the courage required to face a foreign foe in a strange place and that he came home, married my grandmother, and fathered my mom.


There are many others who currently serve our great country who also deserve my thanks. Davids Tipton and McIllece and Victor Ditingo - this one's for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...